Encourages students to become active learners and contribute to the online course community.
- Introductory announcement or email to be sent to your students providing them information on how to access your course
- Expectations for interaction are clearly stated (netiquette, grade weighting, models/examples, and timing and frequency of contributions)
- Learners have an opportunity to get to know the instructor
- Course contains resources or activities intended to build a sense of class community, support open communication, and establish trust (at least one of the following – Ice-breaker, Bulletin Board, Meet Your Classmates, Ask a Question discussion forums)
- Course offers opportunities for learner to learner interaction and constructive collaboration
- Learners are encouraged to share resources and inject knowledge from diverse sources of information in their course interactions